Ingredients and Steps
For the Red Velvet cupcakes (Makes 24)
120g/ 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
300g/1 1/2 cups caster sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons red food colouring(liquid) I used red food colouring powder.So 2 1/2 teaspoons was enough.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
240ml/1 cup of buttermilk
300g of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 teaspoons of white vinegar
- Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Change to high speed and slowly add the eggs.Beat until well mixed.
- In another bowl, mix together cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract. Mix to make a thick paste.
- Add the paste to the butter mixture and mix well until everything is evenly combined.
- Using low speed on the mixer, beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk until everything is well incorporated.Turn the mixer up to high speed and mix until you get a smooth, even mixture.
- Turn back to slow speed.Add baking soda and white vinegar.
- Lastly, put the mixer on high speed and beat for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the paper case about 2/3 full and bake in a preheated oven (170 Celcius) for 20- 25 minutes.You can check by inserting a skewer in the centre.It should come out clean.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting ( Enough for 24 cupcakes)
- 600g/4 cups of icing sugar, sifted ( Reduce the icing sugar if you find it too sweet)
100g/6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
250g of cream cheese, cold
- Beat the icing sugar and butter on medium speed until the mixture combines and is well-mixed.
- Add cream cheese all at once and beat until well mixed.Turn the mixer to a medium-high speed/
- Beat the frosting until it is light and fluffy for about 5 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERBEAT! As this will make the frosting to become runny.
- When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the cream cheese frosting on top and decorate as you wish.I sprinkled the top with the red crumbs from the cupcakes